Caregivers moved patients lying in rolling beds and sitting in wheelchairs, taking them down an incline and into the shade at the front of the hospital. A few elderly women in the rolling beds had linen over their heads to protect them from the sun. With everyone in the shade, caregivers stood by patients and attended to their needs. Patient Angelique Wynn, 27, who was in a wheelchair, said she went to sleep with a migraine and was awakened by nurses saying there was a fire. “I thought I was dreaming at first,” she said. “I’m upset because my dad’s going to come here and he’s going to freak when he sees all these cops.” Workers had been stripping paint from the roof with heat guns when the fire started, English said. Small portions of the roof and attic burned, and the fire caused about $85,000 in damage, she said. [email protected] NEWHALL – Workers stripping paint at the Santa Clarita Convalescent Hospital sparked a small fire Tuesday that forced the evacuation of nearly 100 patients, authorities said. The fire started about 1:45 p.m., and was quickly extinguished, said Stephanie English, a spokeswoman for the county Fire Department. Most of the building was still inhabitable, so by 3:15 p.m. nearly all the 92 patients at the hospital were moved back inside. About 15 patients were moved to nearby facilities operated by the company that runs the hospital, and two who needed life support were taken to Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital, English said. (661) 257-5253160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!