Fans are invited to watch American Pharoah train every morning at Clockers’ Corner. Admission and parking are free from Gate 8 off of Baldwin Avenue. Santa Anita’s Autumn season opens on Saturday, Sept. 26, when five Grade 1 Breeders’ Cup Challenge stakes highlight the afternoon, including the FrontRunner Stakes won by American Pharoah in 2014. American Pharoah stormed into the sports stratosphere earlier this year, leaving Santa Anita to become the first Triple Crown winner since 1978. Since then, he won the William Hill Haskell Invitational in dominating fashion and then fell just short in the Travers Stakes on Aug. 29, joining the immortal Secretariat and Man o’ War as favorites who lost at Saratoga. American Pharoah is preparing for the final start of his career, the Breeders’ Cup Classic, on Oct. 31 at Keeneland, though it is possible that Baffert might send him postward once more before then. Arcadia, CA – Triple Crown winner American Pharoah returned to his home base of Santa Anita Park early Wednesday morning. The Zayat Stables’ 3-year-old superstar galloped on the main track Thursday morning under the watchful eye of trainer Bob Baffert. American Pharoah went to the track shortly after 6:00 a.m. PT due to the high heat in the area. Gallops on the Main Track for Trainer Bob Baffert
Arcata >> The last time the Humboldt B-52s and Humboldt Eagles met the game was played in Eureka at Bomber Field and, although the Bombers were victorious, they had to dig themselves out of a 4-1 deficit in the sixth to win.This time with a change of scenery, the B-52s took the lead and never let it go as they beat the Eagles 12-0 Wednesday at the Arcata Ballpark in seven innings.“That is kind of the way it is with baseball,” B-52s head coach Scott St. John said. “One day you are not so good, …
8 October 2013 The South African National Space Agency (Sansa) on Friday inaugurated the latest addition to its expanding fleet of technologically advanced antennae as the country continues to position itself as one of the world’s reliable space nations. “The new antennae facility consists of a new 10m Ku-DBS band antenna and an equipment room, outfitted with IOT [in orbit test] equipment and infrastructure to assist clients to successfully commission new satellites,” Sansa Space Operations MD Raoul Hodges said in a statement. The R17-million limited-motion antenna was inaugurated at Sansa’s space operations facility at Hartebeesthoek, about 65 kilometres north-west of Johannesburg. “We have seen a steady growth in the market for IOT services, and with the existing KU-DBS facility carrying a high workload for normal transfer orbit operations, it made sense to develop a dedicated facility,” Hodges said. According to Sansa, South Africa is in an ideal position to assist satellite operators with the qualification and commissioning of their new satellites, as the country has a relatively radio-quiet environment and a good geographic position. Since 1984, the Hartebeesthoek facility has supported more than 450 successful launches, space craft supports and in orbit tests – the most recent being the launch last month of Nasa’s LADEE lunar probe. “Space is big business around the world, and South Africa needs to seize the opportunities we have to capitalise on the global market,” said Phil Mjwara, director-general in the Department of Science and Technology. SAinfo reporter
John Nobel Tupas Marvin of the Philippines competes against Adli Hafidz Bin Mohd Pauzi of Malaysia in the finals of the light heavyweight division of the 29th Southeast Asian Games boxing competition. Tupas won to pocket the gold medal. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO/SEA GAMES POOLKUALA LUMPUR—It took just 21 seconds for Filipino-British John Nobel Tupas Marvin to make good on his promise to “go grind it out down the trenches.”In the process, he won his first gold medal for the Philippines Thursday.ADVERTISEMENT Double gold for PH boxing as Marcial, Marvin deliver LATEST STORIES PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH PLAY LIST 05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Read Next LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games “I expected that to happen. Sorry it didn’t last very long,” said the former British Army fighter.READ: Double gold for PH boxing as Marcial, Marvin deliver FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutHis slugger-type brand of boxing was the perfect style for the lethargic Adli Hafidz Mohd Pauzi, and it allowed Marvin to knock out his foe just 21 seconds into the first round of their light heavyweight championship bout.Marvin’s victory came on the heels of Eumir Felix Marcial’s sensational victory in the middleweight class. UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension View comments Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses LIST: Class, gov’t work suspensions during 30th SEA Games MOST READ This time, however, only six weight divisions were played and there were no competitions for the womens class, which gave the Filipinos one gold in Singapore.The country also took home bronzes through former champion Charly Suarez in light welter and Ian Clark Bautista in flyweight. SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Dedicating his victory to teammate Carlo Paalam, who dropped a questionable decision to a Malaysian foe, Marcial ignored the pain from his punching knuckles to beat Thai Pathomasak Kuttiya via unanimous decision.READ: 3 Filipino boxers in SEA Games finals; Suarez crashes“I cried after he (Paalam) lost, that’s why I really tried to win despite my hurting hand,” said Marcial of his left hand, which he injured during the Olympic qualifying last year.Mario Fernandez, defending champion in bantamweight, bowed to Chatchai Butdee of Thailand via split decision earlier at MITEC Hall 6.The Philippines thus won two golds and one silver in boxing, which produced five mints two years ago in Singapore.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short program WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC
CLEVELAND, OH – MAY 26: Former Ohio State and NFL player Eddie George walks off the court after the Cleveland Cavaliers defeated the Atlanta Hawks during Game Four of the Eastern Conference Finals of the 2015 NBA Playoffs at Quicken Loans Arena on May 26, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio. The Cavaliers defeated the Hawks 118-88. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)Former Ohio State Heisman Trophy-winning running back Eddie George is the Grand Marshal at tomorrow’s Big 10K race, so for at least one day, he’s forced to be nice to fans of other league schools. But that doesn’t mean he’s going to wear any apparel related to his program’s biggest rival. Thursday, a Michigan supporter named Gerald Blanc posted a photo of himself and George to Instagram. In the caption, he noted how he attempted to put a Wolverines hat on George’s head, but the former tailback “knocked it out” of his hand. Priceless.There’s nothing quite like college football rivalries. Ohio State vs. Michigan is one of the best.
IOWA CITY, IOWA- NOVEMBER 12: Head coach Jim Harbaugh of the Michigan Wolverines talks with quarterback Wilton Speight #3 during the first quarter against the Iowa Hawkeyes on November 12, 2016 at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa. (Photo by Matthew Holst/Getty Images)Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh isn’t disqualifying rookies from making this season’s two-deep.Speaking this morning on his Inside Michigan Football television show, Jim Harbaugh claimed that he can think of at least 10 freshmen who will have a spot in the team’s two-deep depth chart. And that’s not just as reserves for older players. Harbaugh said some of those players will play in their first Michigan football game as starters.Nick Baumgardner of MLive.com shared the statement on Twitter:Jim Harbaugh on his TV show: 10 freshmen have shown they’ll be in the two-deep as a starter or a backup.— Nick Baumgardner (@nickbaumgardner) August 28, 2016Michigan hasn’t published a two-deep at this time. However, it’s likely a depth chart will appear within the week, as several teams have already released their starting squads.Harbaugh didn’t provide any specific names for which freshman qualify for the two-deep on Sunday’s television show. However, reports from Michigan’s fall camp make it relatively easy to determine which freshman might snag those spots.Specifically, according to Baumgardner, there have been 10 standouts from fall camp: defensive end Rashan Gary, left tackle Ben Bredeson, guard/DT Michael Onwenu, wide receiver Nate Johnson, wide receiver Eddie McDoom, wide receiver Kekoa Crawford, safety Khaleke Hudson, corners David Long and Lavert Hill, running back/receiver Chris Evans and kicker Quinn Nordin.Michigan opens its season Sep. 3 against Hawaii.
OTTAWA — Several Indigenous leaders say former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould was deeply brave in her explosive testimony on the SNC-Lavalin affair, but they’re steering clear of criticizing the Trudeau government.Wilson-Raybould had been the highest-ranking Indigenous person ever in the Canadian government.Wednesday, she told the House of Commons justice committee she faced relentless, inappropriate pressure from Trudeau and several top aides, the Privy Council Office and the office of Finance Minister Bill Morneau, asking her to politically interfere in the criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin.National Chief Perry Bellegarde of the Assembly of First Nations says he witnessed integrity, strength and courage while watching Wilson-Raybould testify.The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations executive also issued a statement of support, applauding Wilson-Raybould for displaying ethics and integrity and calling her a role model for all First Nations and future generations.Clement Chartier, president of the Metis National Council, said he felt the fact Wilson-Raybould is an Indigenous woman does not make the SNC-Lavalin affair an Indigenous issue and that leaders are focused on reconciliation through measures such as new legislation to revitalize Indigenous languages and keep First Nations children out of foster care.The Canadian Press
For 45 years stars from TV, Film, Music and Sports along with community members have come together to show support for the men and women who protect and serve Los Angeles.On September 10, 2017 they will join together again to help raise funds for the Los Angeles Police Memorial Foundation at Avalon Hollywood.Proceeds from this event benefit LAPD employees and their immediate family members, who have experienced unforeseen catastrophic circumstances, including death, illness and injury. The Memorial Foundation is the cornerstone of the Los Angeles Police Departments employee wellness program and has granted over $17 million dollars without any direct taxpayer money. The Foundation takes care of the widows and orphans of Officers killed in the line of duty when they may not have any other means. The Foundation helps ensure the children of Officers killed have the funds available to go to college, and helps with medical costs and other life necessities.This year, the event will feature a surprise 90th Birthday celebration for one of the Foundation’s biggest supporters, baseball legend Tommy Lasorda. The evening will include red carpet arrivals, a celebrity poker tournament, casino games, great food, cocktails, music, photobooth, raffles and auctions. Along with dozens of unique and priceless entertainment & sports items in the auction, guests will have the chance to win an LAPD airship ride, LAPD SWAT Training Day, Training at the Emergency Vehicle Operation Center to learn pursuit & pit maneuvers, dinner with Tommy Lasorda and more.PokerStars Helping Hands, the charitable arm of PokerStars, (The Stars Group) the world’s largest online poker company has been the event’s biggest supporter since it began in 2013. “Without their support again, we may not be able to hold this event that is currently the sole fundraiser to assist LAPD families enduring serious hardships. It means a great deal to us and we are grateful to PokerStars Helping Hands for the continual support.” – Al Atkins, Executive Director. PokerStars Helping Hands also donated the Grand Prize for the Celebrity Poker Tournament. The winner will head to the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure at the Atlantis Resort and Casino on Paradise Island in January 2018 for a chance to win huge cash prizes. This is one of the most prestigious poker events across the globe where in 2018 participants will have a chance to play with superstars Kevin Hart, Usain Bolt, Sergio Garcia and the top poker players in the world. “PokerStars is proud of our long-standing support for the LA Police Memorial Foundation and the support they provide for the men and women in blue who protect and serve their communities,” said Eric Hollreiser, Vice President of Corporate Communications for PokerStars and The Stars Group.Poker Central is a new supporter of the event. The company delivers poker’s most premier content when and where you want it including live events such as the Super High Roller Bowl, Poker Masters, and the WSOP Main Event.Additional Sponsors include: Los Angeles Retired Fire & Police Association Inc., Charity Bids, Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Aflac, Original Tommy’s, Los Angeles Police Revolver and Athletic Club, City Employees Club of Los Angeles, Los Angeles Police Relief Association, Los Angeles Police Protective League, Los Angeles Police Federal Credit Union, Lewis, Marenstein, Wicke, Sherwin & Lee LLP, McNicholas Law, Park Regency Realty, Milken Family Foundation, Caliber Photoworks, Candy Vixen, Robo Records, LA Rams, LA Lakers, LA Dodgers.“This has become one of the top celebrity charity poker tournaments around. One of the special things about this event is the diversity of celebrities, sponsors and community members that continually come out to support this worthwhile cause.” -Traci Szymanski, CEO of Co-Star EntertainmentGuests expected to attend this year include: Board of Directors member Jerry West, Larry King, Tommy Lasorda, Al Joyner, Arianne Zucker, Barbie Blank, Baron Davis, Beau Casper Smart, Bill Fay, Brunson Green, Carl Weathers, Chuck Liddell, Corey Maggette, Danny Zucker, Donovan Carter, Galen Gerring, Gilles Marini, Golnesa “GG” Gharachedaghi, Jamie Gold, Jason Collins, Jayde Nicole, Joanna Krupa, Joey Fatone, John O’hurley, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Katie Cleary, Kenny Johnson, Lou Diamond Phillips, Maria Ho, Mekhi Phifer, Michael Cudlitz, Nathan Kress, Nathan Morris, Roger Cross, Ryan Kelley, Shanna Moakler, Shawn Patrick Christian, Shawne Merriman, Shawn Stockman, Steven Bauer, Tito Ortiz, Tony Denison, Torrie Wilson, Val Chmerkovskiy, Verne Troyer, Vanessa Marcil, Willie Garson with many surprise guests.James Gandolfini hosted the Foundation’s first charity poker tournament in 2013 and Don Cheadle in 2016. Additional pasts hosts and supporters of LAPMF throughout the years include Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Elton John, Sugar Ray Leonard, Vin Scully, Dennis Quaid, Luke Wilson, Samuel L. Jackson, Chris O’Donnell, George Lopez, Oscar de la Hoya, Rihanna, Andy Garcia, Gene Simmons, Marlon Wayans, David Hasselhoff, Backstreet Boys, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., and more.Tickets here.Discounted tickets available for all current & retired law enforcement.
TORONTO – Shares of the venture capital arm of marijuana company Canopy Growth went on a roller coaster ride on its first day of trading on the TSX Venture exchange as an investor craze over cannabis stocks continued.Canopy Rivers, a subsidiary which pursues investment opportunities in the marijuana sector, closed at $8.75, down more than 18 per cent from its opening price Thursday of $10.75. However, that price marked a nearly 150 per cent increase from the stock’s previous close, before Canopy Rivers’ reverse takeover of AIM2.Canopy Rivers began trading Thursday under the ticker symbol “RIV” amid a cannabis stock frenzy as Canada prepares to legalize the drug for recreational use on Oct. 17. During its trading debut, Canopy Rivers surged as high as $11.82 but slipped as low as $7.60.Its investment portfolio includes licensed producer Agripharm and Solo Growth, a retail cannabis distributor.Canopy Growth’s chief executive and acting chief executive of Canopy Rivers Bruce Linton says the subsidiary allows the Smiths Falls, Ont.-based cannabis company to grow its lead in the industry.“Canopy Rivers presents a world of opportunity for its partners and for Canopy Growth… Whether it’s access to new brands, new technologies, differentiated products, first rights to future financing opportunities, and even rights to future full acquisition, Rivers will build value for shareholders,” he said in a statement.Its listing comes one day after shares of Nanaimo, B.C.-based Tilray went on a wild ride, surging more than 90 per cent before briefly dropping into negative territory and then rebounding to close up roughly 38 per cent, at more than US$214. A day earlier, Tilray’s stock saw a 30 per cent jump as well.Tilray, which completed its initial public offering on the Nasdaq in July with shares priced at US$17, earlier this week said it got approval to export medical cannabis to the U.S. for a clinical trial.On Thursday, however, its shares took a breather, closing at US$172.16, down nearly 20 per cent from its opening price. Still, at that price Tilray’s market capitalization of US$16 billion not only surpassed the US$11.8 billion market cap of Canopy Growth, but also brewing company Molson Coors and Mexican fast food chain Chipotle.
The outage occurred at around 6:20 a.m. and is affecting 264 customers on the city’s northeast side.The outage stretches from 112th Ave. south to 101st Ave, and from 90th St. east to 86th St.BC Hydro says that crews have been assigned to restore the power outage, the cause of which is currently under investigation. UPDATE #2: BC Hydro says that as of 3:00 p.m., there were still 92 customers on the northeast side of Fort St. John without power. The outage is currently stretching from 112th Ave. south to 101st Ave, and from 90th St. east to 86th St. A cable fault is being blamed on the outage, which started this morning, and it is estimated that power will be fully restored by 5:00 p.m.UPDATE: BC Hydro crews are currently on site working to restore power, which is expected to occur at approximately 9:30 a.m. The cause of the outage is still under investigation.FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Over 200 BC Hydro customers are without power in Fort St. John this morning.