Zajednica poslovnog turizma Hrvatske gospodarske komore zatražila je od nadležnih ministarstava da stručne i znanstvene skupove uvrste u kategoriju događanja koja će biti dopuštena za održavanje u prvoj fazi mjera za pokretanje gospodarskih i drugih djelatnosti. Inicijativu da se omoguće stručni skupovi podržali su i Hrvatska udruga profesionalaca kongresnog turizma (HUPKT), Hrvatski liječnički zbor (HLZ – preko 150 liječničkih društava s ukupno 10.500 članova), Hrvatska udruga medicinskih sestara (HUMS – 33 stručna društva s ukupno 5.500 članova) i Udruga industrije medicinskih proizvoda (CROMED). The profession says that business tourism, given the currently very bad situation in the sector, ie almost one hundred percent losses in the spring season, will certainly not recover until the spring of 2021. Therefore, they are also seeking an extension of the measures to preserve jobs that are currently in force. President of HUPKT Ranko Filipovic naglašava kako su hoteli i konferencijski centri, kao i ostali dobavljači, spremni na uvođenje mjera zaštite i kontrolu pravila distanciranja te ograničenje broja korisnika s obzirom na preporučene norme. „We suggest that the general limit applies to 100 participants, however exceptionally in case the convention center and accommodation facility is able to provide the prescribed distance due to capacity, and more with the prior consent of the local or national Headquarters. Additionally, in the direction of encouraging Croatian companies to organize internal meetings, we request, at least temporarily, the abolition of the payment of salary contributions in kind for internal events.”, Said Filipović. Također, iz HUPKT-a predlažu i da se dopusti posluživanje hrane u zatvorenim prostorima (hotelskim restoranima) budući da terase nisu svima dostupne niti prikladne u slučaju lošeg vremena, naravno sve uz potpuno poštivanje preporuka epidemiologa. The letter to the ministries also outlined concrete measures that the organizers can take to ensure the highest prescribed hygiene standards, which guarantees the health safety of the participants. “The congress industry is an important segment of tourism, but also of the overall Croatian economy because its consumption and long-term stability is a significant generator of inflows to domestic hotels, congress centers, restaurants and transport companies that are most affected by this pandemic. We believe that professional and scientific gatherings are in a more favorable position than similar public gatherings, primarily because they are educations with a special emphasis on professional development and knowledge exchange where there is no place for entertainment. This is especially true for medical gatherings which, according to strict codes of ethics, are not allowed to have entertainment or have it to a very limited extent. “, pointed out the president of the Business Tourism Association of the Croatian Chamber of Commerce Jasmina Bilać, noting that the average delegate spends significantly more on professional development than leisure tourists.
Some Undergraduate Student Government officials proposed a resolution calling for the creation of a permanent center for undocumented students at the Senate meeting Tuesday.The Undergraduate Student Government Senate approved a resolution proposed last week to improve wages and compensation for the custodial staff at USC. Yuwei Xi | Daily TrojanThe resolution was presented by Mai Mizuno, the outgoing USG director of external affairs, and asks for a new space on campus dedicated to a dreamer center that would feature at least one full-time coordinator to work with undocumented students. The resolution also proposes that USG and Graduate Student Government create an official resources page for undocumented students to access on the University’s Student Affairs website.“The investment will be aimed at ensuring that the undocumented or at-risk student population is provided any and all information needed regarding proper legal assistance or guidance concerning their immigration status or their family’s immigration status,” the resolution states.The resolution also detailed what the role of this center’s coordinator would be if this resolution is passed, stating that the person to take on the role will be “directly involved in the continuing efforts of USG, [GSG], the administration and other organizations on campus to provide the proper support and assistance to undocumented and at-risk students.”GSG passed a nearly identical variant of this resolution last month and coordinated closely with USG in writing USG’s resolution. The resolution acknowledges the efforts made to address the needs of undocumented students thus far, including the creation of a pop-up center by the American Studies and Ethnicity department.“The pop-up dreamer center has been created by faculty and students to provide a safe space and resources to undocumented undergraduate and graduate students,” the resolution states. “But this center has not been given full-time recognition by the administration nor a dedicated staff member to facilitate its activities.”This pop-up dreamer center was created during Fall 2017 and has a part-time staffer who began holding office hours last week. However, advocates for the new center believe that the current center is too small and understaffed.“Right now, the space is smaller than the USG supply closet,” Mizuno said. “It really only fits a sofa and a desk. That is obviously not enough if you look at the other resource centers on this campus.”The senate also voted 10-1 to approve the USG budget for the 2018-19 academic year. The budget was amended to strike a proposed partnership with The New York Times that would cost $8,000 to provide physical copies of the newspaper on campus. The $8,000 were instead allocated to staff salaries of USG organizations and the philanthropy fund.The Senate also unanimously approved the resolution proposed last week to enhance wages and compensation for the custodial staff at USC. Several custodians attended the meeting to watch the resolution pass. The Senate will vote on the undocumented student center resolution in next week’s Senate meeting, which will be the final meeting of the 2017-18 academic year.
Nick Saban has not been afraid to discipline players despite ongoing investigations – Photo courtesy of Library of CongressWhen head coach Clay Helton was hired, there was a sigh of relief from fans who expected him to be the one to clean up the football program. Ever since the Reggie Bush debacle sent USC into a full-blown tailspin it has yet to recover from, there have been innumerable issues including the arrest and suspension of former tight end Bryce Dixon for second-degree robbery and the suspension of former cornerback Josh Shaw who lied about the cause of injuries sustained from leaping from a balcony.Helton is not this type of guy. He is a down-to-earth, blue-collar coach who I expected to instill a strong sense of moral obligation to the University and a dedicated work ethic.Of course, the blame for this year’s incidents does not solely fall on the shoulders of Helton, but the tone is set at the top and Helton has the power to make an impression on the young Men of Troy.Already this year, four football players have been suspended. Cornerback Isaiah Langley did not play in the Alabama game, serving a suspension rendered in July after Langley was arrested for suspicion of trespassing, intoxication and resisting arrest at a fraternity party at UCLA in May. Langley was disciplined later in the month for violating team rules.In Saturday’s game against Alabama, linebacker Jabari Ruffin was ejected immediately after he stomped on Alabama player Minkah Fitzpatrick’s groin. His punishment for this offense — a suspension for the first half of the game against Utah State and a required letter of apology. I would love to read the letter from the guy who has been on circulating videos from SportsCenter of the “Top 10 Cheap Shots of All Time.”More notably, linebacker Osa Masina and defensive end Don Hill have been suspended for both the Alabama game and the Utah State game for their involvement in sexual assault investigations. Both are allowed to practice with the team and attend their classes. Given the sensitivity of this particular accusation, this is the area where discipline enters a gray area. It would be easy to take one side or the other and say that clearly these two players need to be disciplined more harshly, or that they have the right to be treated as normal citizens because they are innocent until proven guilty.I do not think the answer is as clear cut.In all of these situations, the argument could be made that Helton has missed his chance to come in as a new coach and set a strict tone of what is and is not acceptable, but Helton hasn’t done anything that isn’t considered standard protocol across college football.In comparison with Alabama, the top team in the country this year and several years running, there has been an equally disturbing trend of crime among football players, but half-hearted disciplinary measures.Alabama’s All-SEC left tackle Cam Robinson was arrested on drug and weapons charges in May, but the case was dropped by the district attorney citing insufficient evidence. After what head coach Nick Saban described as internal discipline, Robinson played in the season opener against USC last weekend. He was even named one of the 10 impact players for Alabama by their coaching staff. However, even though the charges were dropped eventually, Robinson was suspended indefinitely by the football team, proving that just because the university says the athlete is allowed to attend class does not mean the team is required to keep him around.Alabama indefinitely suspended another player, Alphonse Taylor, after he was arrested and charged with drunk driving in July. In August, Saban allowed Taylor to begin practicing with the team, and he served a one-game suspension last weekend, and is now eligible to compete for a starting spot.While many may argue that these punishments are not severe enough, the main difference I would like to highlight between Alabama’s handling of their disciplinary matters and USC’s is that with Alabama, the players were suspended indefinitely before their charges were fully processed, whereas USC responds with allowing two men accused of rape to practice with the rest of the team.Just because they have not been found guilty does not mean they are people who should be representing the University. Athletes should be held to a higher standard than regular students because they are in a more high-profile situation where outsiders automatically associate the quality of the university based on the football team. It also hurts the situation of other football players and athletes, most of whom are normal, kind and morally responsible people.I admire the bravery of Nick Saban to suspend some of his star players just because of the association between the athlete and the crime. When the facts are settled and the dust has cleared, Saban still has the wherewithal to adjust the punishment as necessary, but removing the athlete from the team for an indefinite amount of time is the better option for the team as a whole.Hailey Tucker is a junior majoring in broadcast and digital journalism. She is also the sports editor of the Daily Trojan. Her column, “Tucker Talks,” runs Thursdays.
Berekum Chelsea have confirmed that striker Saddick Adams will not be out of action for three months as reported by some media outfit following a leg injury he sustained at training last week.Adams twisted his leg after which examinations by doctors revealed the former Atletico Madrid striker broke his ankle bone and will need some time to recover to recover fully.According to Team manager of Chelsea Baba Iddrisu the injury to the under- 17 world cup star is not as serious as feared.“He had a slight injury at the training grounds and we are not sure he will be out for three months as speculated”. He told JOY Sports“I’m sure by a month’s time he should be ok, at worse it should take him a month and half to return because the injury is not really serious”.Adams, who joined the 2011 Ghanaian champions as a free agent in September, has featured in just three games for the Berekum-based side.
A 65-year-old man who allegedly shared nude photos of his ex-lover was on Monday hauled before the Chief Magistrate at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Godfrey Taylor denied the charge which was read to him by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan which stated that on December 15, 2018, while at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation, knowingly and without lawful excuse, he exposed nude photographs of Chendra Sewnarine.While the prosecutor did not object to bail, it was recommended that a probation report into the matter be submitted.The martial arts trainer of Sandy Babb Street, Kitty, Georgetown, was released on $10,000 bail. The case will continue on March 20, 2019.