Fulham move for Besiktas defender Domagoj Vidaby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFulham are preparing to move for Besiktas defender Domagoj Vida.The 29-year-old centre-back helped his country to the brink of glory during the summer but his club side Besiktas are prepared to cash in on him.Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri has made strengthening his defence a priority this January and will be given funds to spend in order to do so.Everton and West Ham retain a long-term interest in Vida, who is under contract until 2022. French club Monaco are also keen, reports the Mirror. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Inter Milan launching swap bid for Real Madrid midfielder Kroosby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveInter Milan are launching a swap bid for Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos.Corriere dello Sport says Inter plan to offer Mauro Icardi in exchange for the Germany international.The idea is to take advantage of Madrid’s search for a new striker as they look to fill the goal gap left by Cristiano Ronaldo’s move to Juventus. Icardi’s name is one of those which has been linked with the club regularly since the summer. The Argentine is expected to renew with Inter but he has not signed new terms yet, which could see him included in a deal for Kroos.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Tottenham captain Lloris warns PSG: Man Utd are back strongerby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham captain Hugo Lloris says defeat to Manchester United is a warning to PSG.PSG and United meet next month in the Champions League round of 16.Lloris told RMC: “Manchester is still a very big institution, one of the biggest clubs in the world. “They are always present in major events. Afterwards, inevitably in a season, there are ups and downs. They have known strengths and they will come back even stronger. They have shown it for a few games but Paris is a very very good team with very great players. It will be a very nice open tie.”
CLEVELAND, OH – MAY 26: Former Ohio State and NFL player Eddie George walks off the court after the Cleveland Cavaliers defeated the Atlanta Hawks during Game Four of the Eastern Conference Finals of the 2015 NBA Playoffs at Quicken Loans Arena on May 26, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio. The Cavaliers defeated the Hawks 118-88. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)Former Ohio State Heisman Trophy-winning running back Eddie George is the Grand Marshal at tomorrow’s Big 10K race, so for at least one day, he’s forced to be nice to fans of other league schools. But that doesn’t mean he’s going to wear any apparel related to his program’s biggest rival. Thursday, a Michigan supporter named Gerald Blanc posted a photo of himself and George to Instagram. In the caption, he noted how he attempted to put a Wolverines hat on George’s head, but the former tailback “knocked it out” of his hand. Priceless.There’s nothing quite like college football rivalries. Ohio State vs. Michigan is one of the best.
Chris Spielman is headed to Fox Sports. The former ESPN college football analyst will have a college football and NFL role at Fox. Spielman, 50, had been at ESPN since 2001. .@FOXSports is excited to welcome @chris_spielman as an @NFLonFOX and @CFBONFOX analyst: https://t.co/EED0gUHVz5— FOX Sports PR (@FOXSportsPR) May 17, 2016From the release:Former Ohio State All-American and NFL All-Pro linebacker Chris Spielman returns to FOX Sports as an NFL and college football analyst, it was announced today by FOX Sports President, Production & Executive Producer John Entz. Spielman, who began his broadcasting career with FOX Sports Net in 1999, serves as a game analyst during the upcoming NFL season and contributes to the network’s extensive college football coverage.“I’m excited about being part of FOX’s NFL and college football coverage for years to come.” Spielman said.“Chris is a tremendous broadcaster with a wealth of NFL and college football knowledge,” Entz said. “His outstanding career both on and off the field brings a huge amount of credibility to FOX Sports. We feel really fortunate to have him with us.”Spielman played at Ohio State in the mid-1980s and was a two-time All-American. He played in the NFL from 1988-99. [Fox Sports]
National Title OddsMichigan now has the second-best odds to win college football’s national championship, according to a Las Vegas sportsbook. Westgate Las Vegas Superbook had updated its national title odds for the 2016 season. Alabama, at 5 to 1, remains the favorite to win it all. The Crimson Tide won the national championship a season ago and bring back a decent amount of their contributors along with an elite recruiting class. The Wolverines, though, have seen their odds recently jump. Michigan now has 7 to 1 odds to win it all, with Clemson, Florida State and Ohio State trailing Jim Harbaugh’s program with 8 to 1 odds. Here’s the full list. @chengelis Updated College Championship Odds ONLY have Alabama ahead of the Wolverines to win it all now… pic.twitter.com/95VTsCoxvA— Johnny Detroit (@Johnny_Detroit) July 10, 2016Who’s your pick to win it all this season? The 2016 campaign kicks off in less than two months, with the first college football Saturday set for Sept. 3. We can’t wait.
IOWA CITY, IOWA- NOVEMBER 12: Head coach Jim Harbaugh of the Michigan Wolverines talks with quarterback Wilton Speight #3 during the first quarter against the Iowa Hawkeyes on November 12, 2016 at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa. (Photo by Matthew Holst/Getty Images)Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh isn’t disqualifying rookies from making this season’s two-deep.Speaking this morning on his Inside Michigan Football television show, Jim Harbaugh claimed that he can think of at least 10 freshmen who will have a spot in the team’s two-deep depth chart. And that’s not just as reserves for older players. Harbaugh said some of those players will play in their first Michigan football game as starters.Nick Baumgardner of MLive.com shared the statement on Twitter:Jim Harbaugh on his TV show: 10 freshmen have shown they’ll be in the two-deep as a starter or a backup.— Nick Baumgardner (@nickbaumgardner) August 28, 2016Michigan hasn’t published a two-deep at this time. However, it’s likely a depth chart will appear within the week, as several teams have already released their starting squads.Harbaugh didn’t provide any specific names for which freshman qualify for the two-deep on Sunday’s television show. However, reports from Michigan’s fall camp make it relatively easy to determine which freshman might snag those spots.Specifically, according to Baumgardner, there have been 10 standouts from fall camp: defensive end Rashan Gary, left tackle Ben Bredeson, guard/DT Michael Onwenu, wide receiver Nate Johnson, wide receiver Eddie McDoom, wide receiver Kekoa Crawford, safety Khaleke Hudson, corners David Long and Lavert Hill, running back/receiver Chris Evans and kicker Quinn Nordin.Michigan opens its season Sep. 3 against Hawaii.
The LA Galaxy have named Guillermo Barros Schelotto as their new head coach. Barros Schelotto joins after spending two-and-a-half years at the helm of Boca Juniors, culminating in a Copa Libertadores final defeat to River Plate last month. The 45-year-old won back-to-back Argentine Primera Division titles with Boca in 2016-17 and 2017-18, while also guiding the Buenos Aires club to the semifinals of the 2016 Libertadores. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? “I am honored to be the head coach for the most decorated club in Major League Soccer,” Barros Schelotto said in a club statement. “This is a tremendous opportunity for me and I am excited to get to work. “The LA Galaxy have long been the standard in MLS and I am ready to push the club to new heights.” Barros Schelotto returns to MLS, where he played for four seasons with the Columbus Crew between 2007 and 2010, winning the 2008 MLS Cup. The Argentine will be tasked with turning around a struggling Galaxy side, which failed to make the playoffs in 2018 despite new signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic scoring 22 goals. The late Sigi Schmid stepped down as coach in September, with Dominic Kinnear taking over as on an interim basis for the rest of the season. “After a comprehensive search, domestically and internationally, we believe Guillermo will be a landmark signing for this club,” Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese said. “Guillermo is a proven winner who has experience coaching, playing and winning for big clubs. “It is our hope that Guillermo’s managing style and familiarity with MLS will bring trophies and championships to LA Galaxy fans and the city of Los Angeles.” Schelotto was also a proven winner as a player, having won six league titles and four Copa Libertadores over 10 years playing with Boca to go along with his MLS Cup winning run with the Crew. He’ll take charge of his first official match with the Galaxy in early March as the club kicks off the 2019 season with a home date against the Chicago Fire, but will get to work much quicker than that, with the preseason set to kick off in February.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has “the best seat in the house”, says Phil Neville, with the Manchester United job now his to lose as he remains “in charge of his own destiny”.A Treble-winning hero from the Red Devils’ past was returned to Old Trafford in the wake of Jose Mourinho’s dismissal in December.He was handed the managerial reins on an interim basis through to the end of the season, with Molde still expecting him back in their dugout once an initial agreement comes to a close. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Solskjaer has, however, made no secret of his desire to stay on if a permanent deal can be secured.Neville sees no reason why an extended stay should not be sanctioned as the man currently at the helm has put himself in the strongest of positions with seven successive victories, despite ongoing talk of interest in the likes of Tottenham head coach Mauricio Pochettino.The former United star told Sky Sports: “It’s got to be [decided on a game-by-game basis]. He’s got the best seat in the house because he’s in charge of his own destiny at this moment in time.“They named him as interim manager and you’ve got to grab opportunities in life and Ole is the type that will do that. I remember when he was a player, Sir Alex [Ferguson] used to put him on for one or two minutes and he would score a goal because he always grabbed an opportunity.“There are other managers out there that are being linked to this post, but probably no one has got the better seat at the moment than Ole. He knows the players, he knows the club, he knows how the club is working, which means that he’s in pole position.“The very first time I met him, he sat two places down from me in the dressing room, and you talked about the baby face at the time, but there was an inner determination and ruthlessness. You saw it in the way he played football that you knew he was going to be successful in his life.“What he’s done at Old Trafford has been great. He’s a friend and you want your friends to do well. The fact that you see smiles back on the faces, not just the players but the supporters going to the stadium, means that as a Man Utd fan, that makes me happy.”Nicky Butt added on the impact Solskjaer has made, with key men such as Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford having been rejuvenated under his guidance: “He’s come in and Ole being Ole, he’s brought a smile with him. He knows the club, which is massively important for me.“What he has done is say to everyone ‘go and enjoy playing for Man Utd, go and be the luckiest boys on the planet to be on the pitch’. He felt like that when he was a player and he’s tried to introduce that to the players now, and it’s worked.“He’s also got a little bit of a ruthless streak, I don’t think he would be as successful as he is if you’ve not got that. He had a dream to become a football manager after his playing career, he worked hard at it and this opportunity has come and I know he is delighted to have that.“I spoke to him on many occasions and I also know he’s going to take hold of it with both hands and hold onto it for as long as he can and hopefully it will be a long, long time.”Solskjaer’s next challenge as United boss is set to pitch him into FA Cup fourth-round competition with Premier League rivals and fellow top-four hopefuls Arsenal, with a trip to Emirates Stadium set to be made on Friday. Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
Edson Alvarez is in the Mexico starting lineup to take on Canada, having recovered from an injury suffered against Venezuela in a friendly earlier this month. The Club America midfielder will anchor a unit that doesn’t include veteran midfielder Andres Guardado, with PSV midfielder Erick Gutierrez stepping in to replace him as the left interior midfielder. The whole unit is changed from El Tri’s 7-0 victory against Cuba that opened the tournament, with Jonathan dos Santos making his debut in the tournament. The LA Galaxy midfielder is fit to start after taking a knock in training earlier in the competition. In contrast to the midfield, Martino’s front three is unchanged. Raul Jimenez, who scored twice in the blowout, is the No. 9 with Uriel Antuna, who had a hat trick against Cuba, and Cruz Azul winger Roberto Alvarado. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Diego Reyes has dropped to the back after playing midfielder in the first game. He’ll line up at center back next to Nestor Araujo, the Celta de Vigo center back who also started against Cuba. Tigres center back Carlos Salcedo played in the first game, but had been recovering from a knee injury suffered in his club team’s run to the Liga MX title. His club teammate, Luis “Chaka” Rodriguez, gets the start again at right back while Monterrey left back Jesus Gallardo lines up on the other side. Guillermo Ochoa, who played but wasn’t called upon in the opening match of the competition, once again starts in goal. Canada has made more changes from its 4-0 win over Martinique in the first game. Puebla forward Lucas Cavallini and Besiktas forward Cyle Larin get their first starts of the tournament. Coach John Herdman also has tweaked his defense, giving Doneil Henry his first start of the tournament next to center back Derek Cornelius. That could free Atiba Hutchinson to shift into his typical central midfield role next to Orlando City’s Will Johnson. The lineup could be a 4-4-2 but also could feature Bayern Munich winger Alphonso Davies working as a wingback with Canada in a 5-3-2.Mexico XI: Ochoa; Rodriguez, Reyes, Araujo, Gallardo; Dos Santos, Alvarez, Gutierrez; Antuna, Jimenez, AlvaradoCanada XI: Borjan; Brault-Guillard, Cornelius, Henry, Kaye; Teibert, Hutchinson, Johnson, Davies; Cavallini, Larin