Duke Energy’s $3.5 Edwardsport coal experiment: ‘A catastrophe’ for ratepayers FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Indianapolis Business Journal:A consumer group is calling on Indiana utility regulators to revoke or modify approval of Duke Energy Corp.’s massive Edwardsport power plant, saying it is costing Indiana ratepayers too much money and has fallen far short of the company’s promises for producing low-cost electricity since going into service in 2013.Citizen Action Coalition of Indiana, which has repeatedly called the plant a “boondoggle” and a “science project,” and unsuccessfully tried to stop the project in court, on Wednesday asked the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission to give the plant’s performance another look.“Building and operating Edwardsport has been an economic catastrophe for Duke’s ratepayers,” said David A. Schlissel, a consultant for CAC and director of resource planning analysis for the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis, a think tank in Cleveland. “And Edwardsport will continue to be a catastrophe for ratepayers unless the IURC takes strong and effective actions to protect them.”The $3.5 billion plant in southwestern Indiana is one of the most expensive projects in state history and was funded largely by ratepayers.Currently, the average Duke Energy customer is paying $14.81 per month for the plant in their monthly bill through a tracker. Duke Energy wants to raise that amount to $15.39.During its 55 months of operations, the plant has had repeated outages and costly repairs, due to logged and corroded pipes, leaky valves and faulty thermocouples. The plant’s huge gasifiers have been taken out service during repairs.The gasifiers are key systems of the 618-megawatt plant, which converts coal into combustible synthetic gas to drive turbines that produce electricity.As a result, the plant has operated at an average of 40 percent capacity on synthetic gas, CAC said—far below the company’s original promise of 79 percent. Last year, the plant improved and operated at 60 percent of capacity, still below the promised level.“This coal-to-synthetic gas part of the plant is a Rube Goldberg machine, funded by unwilling ratepayers forced to pay excessive and unreasonable utility rates,” said Kerwin Olson, CAC’s executive director. “When is enough enough?”Duke Energy had originally described the plant as a producer of low-cost electricity. But costs soared far above its $1.6 million original construction estimate, due to under-estimations on the amount of pipe, concrete and other materials needed. Several major accidents shut down work areas for days.More: Consumer group says Indiana power plant has failed customers
By Dialogo August 04, 2009 The Itaipú hydroelectric power plant, the world’s largest generating plant currently in operation, is working on the development of an electric bus that it hopes to start testing this year and that will join other “green” vehicles produced by the same firm. The bus represents a new phase in Itaipú’s project, in association with car-manufacturing firm Fiat, to develop a family of electric vehicles with “zero emission” of greenhouse gases. As part of this project by Itaipú, a binational Brazilian-Paraguayan firm, twenty-five cars and the prototype of an electric truck have already been manufactured. “Since we were already producing four electric vehicles a month, we decided to open new fronts in our work and develop heavy and mid-weight electric vehicles,” said the Brazilian general coordinator of the Electric Vehicle Project, Celso Novais, speaking to EFE in Foz de Iguazú, where the hydroelectric plant is located. The bus is currently in a design phase, and “the expectation is that we’ll start to assemble the first prototype on 5 September in order to start test-driving it within Itaipú on 15 November,” he explained. According to Novais, the bus is a project by Itaipú in association with Iveco, Fiat’s subsidiary for cargo vehicles, and the Brazilian autobody manufacturer Mascarello. The Swiss firm KWO, which developed the electrical system, also participated in manufacturing the cars. Itaipú has already mastered the technology needed to manufacture electric cars, and after having developed and won approval for the Palio Weekend (Fiat), with a range of 120 kilometers, the firm is working on projects to improve its efficiency and reduce its price. “As far as the truck is concerned, we’ve already been successful in around 70% of our tests of the first prototype,” Novais affirmed. The truck, a double-cab model, has a five-ton capacity (2.5 tons of its own weight and 2.5 tons of cargo), a range of one hundred kilometers, and a top speed of one hundred kilometers per hour. According to the engineers, it uses three batteries, due to the fact that it has a forty-kilowatt motor, almost three times more powerful than the motor used in the cars, which run on fifteen kilowatts. “We designed it to meet the needs of cooperatives that produce energy from biomass and want to use their excess for transport, as a way of saving fuel,” the engineer explained. “In Paraná (the southern Brazilian state in which Itaipú is located) there are a number of agricultural producers and pig farmers who have a surplus of biomass and use it to run their own electrical generators. They asked us for help because they produce more energy than they can consume,” he added. According to Novais, the electric truck costs more than a vehicle that runs on conventional fuels, but for the farmers it is more economical, because they do not pay for fuel. The engineer admitted that even though they are ecological models that do not cause pollution and are about as efficient as conventional vehicles, the great problem for electric vehicles is their price, practically double that of comparable gasoline-powered vehicles. “Since they use a special battery and components that aren’t yet mass-produced, their cost goes up a lot,” he added, explaining that the sodium battery represents almost 50% of the vehicle’s price. Nevertheless, Novais indicated that electric vehicles compensate over the long run from the financial perspective, because the cost per kilometer traveled is four times less than for gasoline-powered vehicles. According to his explanation, with 3.6 dollars’ worth of charge in the battery, at Brazilian residential utility rates, it is possible to travel 120 kilometers. “To go the same distance with a conventional vehicle, you’d have to pay four times as much,” he said. In order to reduce production costs, Itaipú is working on two strategies, developing a less-expensive battery and reducing the vehicle’s weight in order to increase its range, Novais said. A lighter-weight prototype made with carbon fiber had twice the range (220 kilometers), but its cost also went up due to the price of the material.
Comert made 31 appearances for Basel last season (Picture: Getty)Everton were linked with a move for Comert back in January but a deal failed to materialise and Arsenal could look to capitalise by offering him a chance to play in the Premier League.AdvertisementAdvertisementEmery is keen to add a central defender to his ranks and Arsenal are reportedly closing in on the capture of William Saliba from Saint-Etienne in a deal worth €25m.However, the highly-rated 18-year-old may end up staying at Saint-Etienne next season on loan from the Gunners to further his development, meaning Emery could sign another defender.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityArsenal are operating under tight financial restrictions this summer following their failure to finish in the top-four and Comert’s £7m price tag makes him a realistic transfer target.Although he is yet to be capped by Switzerland at senior level, Comert has captained the U21 side and scored twice in six matches.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Eray Comert established himself as a first-team regular at FC Basel last season (Picture: Getty)Unai Emery is weighing up a move for FC Basel defender Eray Comert as he bids to bolster Arsenal’s defensive options ahead of the new season.According to the Daily Mail, Arsenal are preparing a £7m bid for the 21-year-old and will send representatives to Switzerland for talks with Basel over his availability on Saturday.Comert rose through the youth ranks at Basel before establishing himself as a first-team regular in the 2018-19 season, making 31 appearances for the club in all competitions.A Switzerland U21 international, Comert has also spent time on loan at Basel’s Swiss Super League rivals Lugano and FC Sion over the past few seasons.ADVERTISEMENT Comment Advertisement Arsenal considering move for £7m-rated FC Basel defender Eray Comert Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 26 Jun 2019 1:48 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link338Shares Advertisement
5 Imbros St, Nundah. Picture: realestate.com.auTHIS Nundah three-bedroom house listed for just $89,900 caught the attention of plenty of would-be buyers this week, but there’s a catch.The land is not included.But while you don’t get the land with the house at 5 Imbros Street, Nundah the price does include moving it and installing it onto your block of land, within about 100kms.The property was viewed more on realestate.com.au this week, than any other property in Queensland this week.According to its listing Drake Removal Homes will deliver, and install on new foundationsIt has a large central open plan lounge and dining room and polished timber floors throughout.The second most viewed home this week, comes with land. The four-bedroom house at 25 Enderley Ave, Clayfield is scheduled for auction on March 17.It is a Hamptons style home on a dual access block. Inside is an open plan living area with cathedral-style ceiling. 262A Sunrise Rd, Doonan. Picture: realestate.com.auMore from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus20 hours agoThere is a marble foyer entrance to the home and spotted gum floors. On the same block is a historic cottage which was once the Wahpunga State School. It has been renovated and has french doors and VJ walls.It is listed through Graham Smith and Kess Prior of Hinternoosa Real Estate — Cooroy.The fourth most viewed property this week is a five-bedroom property at 92 Enoggera Tce, Paddington. The home is listed for auction on March 17.The renovated double-storey Queenslander has city views. The 1890s home was restored through AAD Design. 25 Enderley Ave, Clayfield.There are wide timber sliders from the main living and dining room to the deck and there is a swimming pool.It is listed through Christine Rudolph of Ray White New Farm.The third most viewed Queensland property this week was at 262A Sunrise Rd, Doonan.The five-bedroom home is listed for offers of more than $3.3 million. The single level, palazzo-style home was on 30 acres in the Noosa hinterland.It has a 20 metre infinity pool with travertine pool deck. The home is known as Sanaa which is Swahili for ‘work of beauty’. 92 Enoggera Tce, Paddington.It has traditional features and is painted in a Hamptons style. There are polished timber floors, a wide rear veranda and open plan living and lounge areas.It is listed through Tyson Clarke and John Smith of Queensland Sotheby’s International Realty Brisbane.The fifth most viewed property was a five-bedroom home at 129 Mount O’Reilly Rd, Samford Valley.The Brad McLachlan designed home has mountain views. 129 Mount O’Reilly Rd, Samford Valley. Picture: realestate.com.auThere are open plan living and dining areas and an entertainment space, plus a infinity pool.It is listed through Damon Dungey of Belle Property — Samford.
Image courtesy of MHIMitsubishi Heavy Industries Group has completed testing of MHPS’s 2-shaft 120 MW H-100 gas turbine. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems (MHPS) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Compressor Corporation claim the turbine will be deployed in thermal power plants sector as well as in mechanical drive liquefied natural gas (LNG) applications.Following successful completion of testing, MHI president & CEO Shunichi Miyanaga said, “We are confident this can be a game-changer for the LNG industry, as well as thermal power plants, in terms of lower production costs.”In a joint statement, the three companies say the benefits of the two-shaft gas turbines for LNG mechanical drive application include reduced footprint, broad variable-speed operation, shortened start-up time and space savings.
Offshore driller Shelf Drilling has completed the purchase of the Ocean Scepter jack-up rig from Diamond Offshore. Shelf entered into a definitive agreement with Diamond to purchase the Ocean Scepter rig for $90 million in early July.Shelf informed on Friday, July 27 that its wholly owned subsidiary has completed the purchase and acceptance of the jack-up rig. Following the closure of this deal, Shelf’s total shallow water rig count increased from 39 rigs to 40 rigs.Shelf Drilling has financed the acquisition with proceeds from the Initial Public Offering (IPO) completed in June this year, and cash on hand.The rig has been renamed Shelf Drilling Scepter and is expected to be mobilized shortly from the U.S. Gulf of Mexico on a dry tow carrier to the Middle East.The Ocean Scepter rig was built in 2008 and is of a KFELS Mod Super B design.
NZ Herald 17 April 2015The mother of a Whanganui toddler who died after allegedly being accidentally left in a car on a hot summer’s day has been charged with manslaughter.The woman appeared in the Whanganui District Court yesterday but her name, and that of her husband, and all the details of the hearing were suppressed by the judge.She was charged with the manslaughter of her 16-month-old son, (name withheld) , on January 16 by failing to provide the necessaries of life.University of Auckland law professor Dr Bill Hodge told TVNZ’s Breakfast show today the law imposed a duty on a caregiver of an infant to provide reasonable care.“If you breach that duty or you appear to breach that duty and a person dies as a result, homicide is the outcome and the law says it could be culpable homicide, so that’s appropriate to go to the right authority being a high court jury trial.”Family First NZ called on the police to drop the case altogether.The mother had “already received a life sentence”, said national director Bob McCroskrie.“She will have to live with the tragic outcome of the death of her son.“What is the point of pursuing this further?”http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11433889Wanganui hot-car death: Mum charged with manslaughterNZ Herald 16 April 2015Following the court appearance today, Family First NZ called on the police to drop the case, saying the woman had “already received a life sentence” over the boy’s death.“She will have to live with the tragic outcome of the death of her son. What is the point of pursuing this further?” Bob McCoskrie, national director of Family First NZ, said.“This has had devastating consequences that no jail term or punishment could outweigh.“There is a place for charges to be laid in similar circumstances, but when the outcome has been so tragic, it seems the mother has been punished enough.“This does not appear to be a neglectful mother. It appears to be simply a tragic, tragic mistake.”http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11433576Family First: Drop charges against womanNewsTalk ZB 16 April 2015 The Family First lobby group believe police need to follow precedent and drop charges against a woman accused of the manslaughter of Whanganui toddler (name withheld)The woman appeared in the Whanganui District Court this morning, was granted name suppression and will be back in court next month.Family First’s national director Bob McCoskrie is pointing to a case where a father was given a let off after leaving the handbrake off his car, which led to his son’s death.“We noticed that the court showed compassion and discharged without conviction, so I’m not quite sure why that precedent has been set, has been ignored by the police.”http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/manslaughter-charges-after-baby-dies-in-whanganui-hospital-carpark/Whanganui car death: Woman charged with manslaughter3News 16 April 2015http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/whanganui-car-death-woman-charged-with-manslaughter-2015041610#axzz3XSzR9xXu
Camral was brought to the Western Visayas Medical Center in Mandurriao district. Police investigators said prior to the incident, Amoras and Camral figured in a heated argument that ended up with the victim hacking the suspect. In retaliation, Camral allegedly shot Amoras using a still undetermined caliber gun. ILOILO City – A woman was wounded in a shooting incident in Barangay Victoria, Tubungan, Iloilo. Ynabelle Amora, a resident of the village, was recuperating at the Rep. PedroTrono Memorial Hospital in Guimbal town. She sustained a gunshot wound on the body, a police report showed. Amoras‘ uncle Frudencio Camral was tagged as the suspect in the shooting that happened around 6:45 p.m. on May 31. Officers of the Tubungan police station said old grudge was seen as the motive in the incident./PN
Ronald C. “Ron” Bonnlander, 84 of Milan passed away at Ripley Crossing Monday February 20, 2017. Ron was born Friday June 10, 1932 in Ohio; the son of Frank and Naomi (Conway) Bonnlander. Ron married Janet (Bruns) Bonnlander July 12, 1952 and she preceded him in death July 15, 2005.Ron was a member of the Cornerstone Baptist Church, former member of the CB Helping Hands (Greenleaf), volunteer fireman for Moores Hill. He was a truck driver, worked at Norwood Sash and Door, owned and operated Door Store in Milan, and after retirement went back to work at Burger King in Aurora He enjoyed wood working and working on cars.Ron is survived by son: Thomas (Teresa) Bonnlander of Moores Hill; brother: Robert (Patty) Bonnlander of Harrison, Oh, 3 Grandchildren: Crystal (Pete) Solly; Cheryl Bonnlander (Scott Yunker); David Bonnlander (Amanda Grigsby). 4 Great-Grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, wife, 2 brothers: Frank and James Bonnlander.Funeral services will be at 11AM Thursday February 23 at Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home, Milan with Pastor Rick Mosley officiating. Burial will follow in New Craven Cemetery south of Milan. Visitation will also be Thursday 9AM-11AM also at the funeral home. Memorials may be given to the Alzheimer Association through the funeral home. Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home, Milan entrusted with the arrangements, 707 South Main Street, Box 243, 47031; (812)654-2141. Go to www.lawscarrmoore.com to leave an online condolence message for the family.
February 26, 2019 Police Blotter022619 Decatur County Fire Report022619 Decatur County Jail Report022619 Decatur County Law Report022619 Decatur County EMS Report022619 Ripley County Police Blotter