Lonzo Ball of the Los Angeles Lakers calls a play during the second half of a game against the Sacramento Kings at Staples Center on January 9, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images/AFPEL SEGUNDO, Calif. — Lakers guard Lonzo Ball is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery Tuesday on his left knee.The team said Friday that it will provide an update on Ball’s condition after the surgery. He has a torn meniscus.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio names LATEST STORIES Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team Ball, who was chosen by the Lakers with the second overall pick in last year’s draft, averaged 10.2 points and 7.2 assists during his first NBA season. He started 50 games.He’s expected to compete with the recently signed Rajon Rondo during training camp this fall to be Los Angeles’ starting point guard. The 32-year-old Rondo agreed to a one-year deal worth $9 million this month to suit up alongside LeBron James.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’General manager Rob Pelinka said this week that Ball will be fully healthy for training camp. Chelsea fires manager Antonio Conte after 2 years in charge Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ MOST READ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew
Madam Hѐlѐne Cavé, EU Ambassador toLiberia.— EU, Liberia Launch Phase II TomorrowThe lifespan of the Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) between the European Union (EU) and the Government of Liberia (GoL) through the Forestry Development Authority (FDA), has been graciously extended by another three-year period, an FDA release has said.The ceremony marking the official launch of Phase II of the VPA takes place on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 in Monrovia. It is expected to be graced by an array of government officials and an EU delegation. This Long Term Technical Assistance to Implement the Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) in Liberia is a project, funded by the EU for the continuation of EU support to the forestry sector to assist the implementation of the VPA/Forest Law Enforcement Governance and Trade (VPA/FLEGT).GoL will be represented by FDA managing director, C. Mike Doryen and the EU by Ambassador Hélène Cavé.The objective of this project is to contribute to the development of Liberia’s forest sector by increasing the value of traded timber products through the strengthening of overall forest governance, sustainable management of forest resources, law enforcement, and rule of law, and equitable sharing of forest benefits, among others.This second phase of EU assistance will emphasize the trade rather than aid aspects of the program. This phase aims at enabling Liberia develop its capacity to issue FLEGT Licenses to help increase international trade with higher paying markets like the EU and others.For this to happen, completing the building of systems and procedures and putting these into operation is needed, so that a Legality Assurance System is fully in place in Liberia. Private operators and community forest owners can then be encouraged to obtain FLEGT Licenses and benefit from added-value exports to premium markets.The FDA is already increasingly taking over responsibilities for managing and financing the VPA implementation.The EU assistance to the VPA process started in 2013 under a first phase of VPA support through a co-financing arrangement between EU and DFID by a total of approximately EUR 20 million, implemented through two main technical assistance projects; one to create a Legality Verification Department (LVD), and the other a VPA Support Unit (VPA/SU). This was complemented by funding of specific additional actions, like support to the civil society, and the independent auditor.A key feature of the EU project is that it will help FDA to provide this coordination in its role as Lead-Agency. This will be achieved through the institutions and processes that were set up for VPA in the first phase; such as the VPA Secretariat, the Liberia Implementation Committee (LIC), National Multi Stakeholder Monitoring Committee (NMSMC) and the guidance provided by the Forward Planner (the VPA road map).The main counterparts to this project are the Government of Liberia institutions administering the forest resources namely the Forest Development Authority (FDA), the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), Ministry of Finance and Development Planning (MoFDP), the Liberia Revenue Authority (LRA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the Ministry of Labor (MoL). The present project is a second phase of the specific technical assistance, totaling around EUR 3.4 million.Liberia, a country rich in natural resources with over 4 million hectares of forests, has successfully emerged from war into a peaceful democracy. With variable figures during the last decade, the current contribution of the forest sector to the GDP is estimated around 10 to 11% with ambitions from the current administration to increase this contribution to at least 12% in the coming years, hence the importance of emphasizing trade.The export of commercial timber generates about US$8 million of government revenue annually, which is roughly 26% of the total earnings from natural resources.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Parking meter burdenPeoples Progressive Party (PPP) General Secretary and Opposition Leader, Bharrat Jagdeo has called out the Government for failing to nip the Parking Meter Project in its bud, as he rejected the sympathies now being expressed by President David Granger and his administration in relation to the corrupt initiative.Jagdeo highlighted that the Central Government had more than enough opportunities to prevent the project from materialising, but refused to act on the premise of not wanting to interfere with local government affairs.But the Opposition Leader finds it odd how Government suddenly changed its views full circle, after civil society reacted in uproar and demanded that the shady deal be scrapped.Government was privy to the contract some five months ago, but yet allowed the Georgetown Mayor and City Council (M&CC) to grant the green light to the private investors, despite the contract consisting of clauses which allows the parking meter company to take full control of the capital.Jagdeo highlighted that Government could have stopped the project from going forward right there, especially since they have majority Councillors on the M&CC.“The ministry had an adverse review of the contract and yet they proceed to support it and they can’t claim that they did not support this project,” the former President observed.He noted too that the Government had another opportunity to terminate the deal when the By-laws came to the Communities Minister Ronald Bulkan for approval.“So they not only had the contract, (they) had a review done of the contract, gone against their own review of the contract, but then they had one of their Cabinet ministers help to bring this contract into being so who takes approval for that, is it not Granger himself,” he stated.Jagdeo also argued that the concerns now being expressed by the Alliance For Change (AFC) arm of the coalition Government are not even genuine as its members were part and parcel in the process of supporting the controversial project.The Opposition Leader also contended that a reduction in the rates of the paid parking will not solve the problem, as he reiterated calls for the entire initiative to be scrapped. “There are so many other features of that contract that are unbelievably stacked in favour of the investor… they have he has now saddled us with unbelievable liabilities if this contract should be repudiated now… and we can only put the blame at the doorstep of this Government,” he emphasized.
Government on Monday announced that plans are in progress for the development of a homestead settlement area for the 260 confirmed Venezuelan refugees, who are occupying areas in Region One (Barima-Waini).This was related by Minister of Citizenship, Winston Felix at the conclusion of the third multi-agency coordinating committee meeting held at the Ministry of Citizenship, Shiv Chanderpaul Drive, Georgetown.In addition to the resettlement area being self-reliant, “it is intended that we [will] develop something like a homestead where families are accumulated and eventually, we can move them into cash crop farming. We can encourage that so that in the first instance, they can feed themselves and if they have surpluses, they can sell. We are looking at crops for their sustenance and their immediate needs. Once you get that … going, then the next thing is to guide them into areas in whichCitizenship Minister Winston Felixthey can sustain themselves. The immediate outcome is that we want to see them properly settled and they must be able to sustain themselves…,” the Minister is quoted by the Ministry of the Presidency as saying.According to him, the agencies on the committee will continue to play their roles in lending whatever assistance is necessary to those in Region One while assessing the migration of Venezuelans into Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni).“In the meantime, the Ministry of Health is continuing its vaccination [efforts]… [The Department of] Immigration is continuing the registration and support work… The Police [are] also following through with the support work to this committee. So, all agencies, locally, are locked into this committee to provide services and support for the Venezuelans in Guyana. We are also exploring the situation in Region Seven [in order] to find out where [the Venezuelans] are and what numbers we have to [cater for],” he said.The Committee has also been working alongside the United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF); International Organisation for Migration (IOM) and the United Nations Human Rights’ Council (UNHRC) to determine areas of collaboration and support.Rather than criminalise the Venezuelans, Minister Felix said that the CommitteeSome of the Venezuelan refugees in Region Oneand, by extension, the Government, have chosen to respond to the situation in a humane manner, with concern for the safety, health, and accommodation of the migrants.Guyana had, in 2016, convened a meeting of Non-Governmental Organisations and the Private Sector to consider the deteriorating conditions in Venezuela. The Venezuelan Government was, however, not open to receiving any material assistance being offered at the time.Guyana is already providing medical assistance to many Venezuelans. It has been reported that Venezuelan nationals are crossing into Guyana, especially at Region One, to seek medical treatment for malaria.There have been persistent reports that owing to a troubled economy and unrest that has gripped that nation, shortages of basic services and food exist in Venezuela, including health services.
Steve Howey believes Newcastle United will stick with temporary manager John Carver next season – despite the Magpies’ awful form.The 50-year-old was handed the reins at St James’ Park until the end of the season, following Alan Pardew’s move to Crystal Palace earlier this year.Derby boss Steve McClaren is firm favourite to be offered the role permanently in the summer, but former defender Howey insists owner Mike Ashley will keep Carver, who has seen his side pick up just five points from their previous 10 matches, in place.“The fans, and myself included, don’t think Newcastle are going to get a big name manager in,” he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show.“For a big name manager to come in he’s going to make demands and want money. He’s going to want money for himself and for players.“I think [owner] Mike Ashley will stick with JC [John Carver]. I feel really sorry for him because he’s had injuries and suspensions, along with players not being on form.“It’s been a really difficult time for him and I just hope he can turn it around.”
England have finished second in Group B at Euro 2016 after drawing 0-0 with a stoic Slovakia in Saint-Etienne.The result, paired with a 3-0 win for Wales, leaves the Three Lions facing a much tougher route to the final than had they topped the table.So who will Roy Hodgson’s men now face in the round of 16 in France?Well, as runner-up in Group B they will face the runner-up in Group F – which contains Portugal, Hungary, Iceland and Austria.As it stands, with one matchday left, England would face Iceland.It could all change depending on the results of Wednesday night’s games, so what are the permutations?Hungary v Portugal and Iceland v Austria…If Portugal win and Iceland winIn this scenario, the two teams would leapfrog Hungary to take the top two spots. It would all come down to goal difference, or goals scored to decide who finishes top or as runner-up.If Portugal win and Austria winHere, the Three Lions would face Hungary in the round of 16 with Portugal topping Group B and Austria finishing third following their earlier loss to Hungary.If Portugal win and Iceland v Austria is a drawOnce again, this leaves England facing a clash with Hungary in the next round as Portugal top the table and Iceland finishing third.If Hungary win and Iceland winIf the Magyars upset Cristiano Ronaldo and co, it would see them top the group with ease and England would land Iceland as their next opponents.If Hungary win and Austria winWith this permutation, superstar Ronaldo is going home early and England will face Austria next Monday.If Hungary win and Iceland v Austria is a drawIt’s Iceland for England here as the Three Lions attempt to progress.If Portugal v Hungary is a draw and Iceland winRoy Hodgson and his charges would be getting the calculators out in this scenario. Hungary and Iceland are battling for the top two spots and goal difference will decide it.If Portugal v Hungary is a draw and Austria winAn easier calculation here as Austria jump above Portugal and Iceland into second spot, creating an encounter with England. Hungary will finish top of the table.If Portugal v Hungary is a draw and Iceland v Austria is a drawIf these results come to pass in France, it comes down to goals scored to decide whether Iceland or Portugal finish second and face England. 1 England players look dejected after drawing 0-0 with Slovakia
A well-known GAA player was being hailed a hero after his quick-thinking managed to save the home of his cousin in a housefire.Donegal and St Michaels player Daniel McLaughlin.John and Brid McLaughlin are counting their blessings after sparks from a range started the fire at their Creeslough home.The fire was only noticed by chance when the couple’s daughter Rosaleen arrived for a visit. Rosaleen rushed next door to her cousin Daniel’s house.Daniel, a member of the 2012 All-Ireland Donegal winning squad and St Michaels team player, rushed into John and Brid’s home with a fire extinguisher and brought the flames under control.The house was mostly smoke-damaged but could have been much worse but for Daniel’s quick actions.A very relived Brid thanked everyone for their help in cleaning and painting and making their house habitable again. “All our neighbours and friends have been so helpful. People really have shown us the real meaning of Christmas. It could have been so much worse but people have been very kind,” she said.It us understood the fire started as a result of sparks from behind the range fire which ignited a stool beside it.GAA STAR DANIEL’S QUICK ACTIONS SAVES HOUSE FROM BURNING TO GROUND was last modified: December 24th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
It was a very special night for US woman Loretta Brennan Glucksman who was given the Tip O’Neill Diaspora Award in Buncrana last weekend. To see the highlight of the night, simply click on the DonegalTV video. DDTV: SEE THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TIP O’NEILL DIASPORA AWARD EVENING was last modified: October 2nd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalTip O’Neill Award
A Culdaff mother has run a staggering one hundred miles for Lifeline Inishowen CharityEilish Bell wanted to complete a personal challenge and do a little charity also.She decided to take part in the “Connemara 100 miles” on Saturday last in aid of Lifeline Inishowen. Eilish completed the run in 23 hours 40 mins & 64 seconds. She started at 6am on Saturday and ran through the night and finished at 5:40am Sunday morning.The well-known Inishowen woman said it was a great experience, a very well organised race and a once in a lifetime experience.Fantastic stuff Eilish! Donegal mum gives a ‘lifeline’ with super 100 mile run! was last modified: August 8th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)